shell script help?

Mark Donnelly wrote:

> > I know that I have not been able to
> > write to some of the drives shared by the NT file servers running NTFS
> > from a Linux box at work.
>
> I would guess that you're running into permission problems here.  Remember
> that you have multiple levels of permissions to deal with on a share.  Do
> you have permission to connect?  Do you have permissions to write to the
> directory?  Do you have permisssions to the file you're dealing with?
> Remember that NTFS has a lot finer control than Unix filesystems do - you
> can set permissions at a group or individual level; so three different
> individuals in the same or different groups can have entirely different
> permission sets for the same file.
>
> FWIW,
> --Mark

It is actually in my directory on the "network" drive, I can write to
this directory from any M$ system(95, 98, NT client) but cannot write to
it from the Linux box. I checked the mount point to insure that I had
-rwx permissions to that directory. Could it be a lack of smbfs support
in my kernel? do I need to recompile the kernel with smbfs support?

Thanks
--

Tom Guilderson
-