Quick (probably an RTFM) quesiton on IP Masq. and ICQ.

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Jerry Feldman {75562} wrote:

> I have not perused the IP masq FAQs for this, but I was wondering if anyone
> has ICQ running on a Windoz machine behind a Linux box running IP
> Masquerade.

Yeah, I've done it, but certain features don't work so well.  Namely
receiving files.  My experience with it is that it sometimes works, if you
have all the masquerading kernel modules loaded (I think the FTP module is
the one that made the most difference) but it's still not very reliable
and doesn't work a lot more often than it does.

Sending and receiving messages works fairly well.

You can probably get it to work using the firewall configuration in
combination with port redirection on the Linux firewall machine, but I
haven't tried this.  If you get it working, let me know.

What I usually do is run licq (pronounced "lick" :)  on the linux firewall
and run MiX on the wondows machine to redirect the display onto.  That
works o.k. but it's less than ideal.  But you will be able to send and
receive files without a hastle that way, at least.

--
Derek D. Martin
Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
derek.martin at ne.arris-i.com

-