telnet and ftp

I just put linux on two systems (RedHat 6.0 out of the box) over the
weekend and when I telnet or ftp to either system the following happens:

I get a message connected to 10.0.8.xx
Then it takes about 1 to 2 minutes before being prompted for a user
name.
I am eventually prompted and I get in fine, but I have never seen this
before.  Both processes are spawned by inetd.  I checked inetd.conf -
looks fine.  I checked the gettydefs file, saw nothing out of the
ordinary.  My understanding of the process is that inetd listens for
incoming connection requests, gets a request, calls the appropriate
daemon, in.telnetd which will call getty(agetty, mingetty)???? to begin
the login process.  getty then calls login with the username as an
argument which then checks /etc/usertty, prompts forand checks the
password, then sets some environmental variables (UID,GID, PATH,
LOGNAMEetc) and starts the shell specified in /etc/passwd.

The problem seems to be somewhere in the pass off to telnetd, ftpd and
the getty process.  I plan on running telnetd in debug mode on a
different port and see what happens.

If any one has seen this before or has any ideas, I'd appreciate the
help.

--

Tom Guilderson

-