Linux Proxy NIC interfacing woes

Derek Martin hath scribed:
>> No, it should be fairly modern, it's a 3com 3c905 Boomerang (or so says
>> my dmesg bootup messages).
>
>I think that should be fine then. I've got one of those too but I think
>it's a 10Mb/s card only...  or maybe it was a 3c509, I don't
>remember now.

No, the 3c905 _should_ be 100baseT.  It says this on the card, and also
in the bootup messages.  I was hoping it would be smart enough to only
use 10baseT if connecting to a slower receiver (ie, the cable modem in
this case).  Of course, nothing can be certain...

>Sounds like maybe you didn't move the new kernel into place.  If you see
>messages about the card at boot time, you have support for it built in to
>the kernel, AFAIK.  The other way to check is do ifconfig -a and lsmod,
>and if it shows up in the output of the ifconfig command but not in the
>output of the lsmod command, then you have support built into the kernel.

Yes, that was partially it.  I recompiled the kernel, and copied the new
boot image over the old boot image, but I forgot to run lilo again.  I
thought I wouldn't need to, since I was using the same pathname for the
booted kernel.  I guess lilo needs to configure other stuff as well.

Ok, before re-running lilo, I saw lo, eth0, and eth1 listed when I did
ifconfig -a.  lsmod showed the 3c509 driver, for some strange reason.
After running lilo, I only see lo for ifconfig -a, so this is a first
step.  However, if I try 'insmod 3c90x', I still get the error:
"3c90x.o: init_module: Device or resource busy".  lsmod does not show
any net drivers included.  Are there any other reasons the device could
be busy?

>At any rate, sounds like you're headed in the right direction.  Good luck!

Yeah, I'm gettin' there.  Next step will be to call RCN and just ensure
that I can change MAC's by only cycling power, instead of re-notifying them
of the MAC change.  If that doesn't work, then I'll try possibly removing
one of the two NIC's, and just re-installing Mandrake to see if the auto
install can configure it.  If that still doesn't work, then I may need
to try my Acer card to connect to the cable modem.

Okay, thanks again for all the help!

	- wass
-