choosing base addresses on NICs

First, the 9(?) pin port is called AUI. This is the original Ethernet. The
coax is called a BNC connector. The RJ45 connector is 10baseT. The base
address, as you guessed is the i/o port address. It is important in PC
architecture that each device have its own IRQ and its own I/O port base
address. The PC was not designed for the type of work it is doing now, so
these tend to be severe limitations. Theoretically, it is possible for
multiple devices to share the same IRQ, but the device drivers sharing that
IRQ need to know about this, and need to be able to determine which board
(or port on the board) caused the interrupt.

Jerry Feldman
Contractor, eInfrastructure Partner Engineering
508-467-4315
Compaq Computer Corp.
200 Forest Street MRO1-3/F1
Marlboro, Ma. 01752