Red Hat 6.0, gnome/enlightenment, and sound

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Richard R Malloy wrote:

>   I was playing with some java sound examples and with the new real
> player for Linux and found that they had trouble accessing the sound
> device. I had no problem with either under KDE with either. I'm
> running RedHat 6.0 with enlightenment 0.15.5. Does anyone know if this
> works with later revisions.

Oh... to answer the question, enlightenment has a component called esound
which seems to more or less take over the sound hardware.  I don't know
the details, but when it's running some things seem to work fine (like
quake) and others don't (like xboing).  Also if I run a KDE session from
gdm (gnome's login manager, a replacement for xdm), my sounds don't work
in KDE.  This is really more of a guess on my part based on what I've
observed...

Because it won't play nice with others, I've given up on gnome/E and gone
back to KDE.

--
Derek D. Martin
Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
derek.martin at ne.arris-i.com

-