Stuck in 640x480

I've managed to install Redhat 6.1 on my Pentium machine. The video card and
monitor are both capable of 1280x124 resolution. That res works just fine in
Windows 98. When running Xconfigurator, I can set the 1280x1024 resolution
and the program seems to be happy with that. But when I restart, the system
is still at 640x480.

The odd thing is, that when I run XF86Config, the screen section shows that
I'm at 1280x1024.

The video card is an ATI Rage 128 which isn't supported in the Redhat
distribution. However, I've downloaded a driver from Precision Insight that
is supposed to work. Before I got that driver, I had no X system at all,
only console mode.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Peter Jon White
Peter White Cycles