Linux/Unix Jobs

Ok people, due to some recent changes in management here, both in
personnel and in philosophy, I'm getting really annoyed. I'm not quite at
the point where I'm actively seeking new employment, but I'm definitely
investigating my options.  So if you have need of a senior Unix guy with
particular expertise with all things networking, send me an e-mail (please
do not reply to the list!) with some info.

I should say up front that I'm not cheap, and I'm very picky, so I'll give
a short list of things I'm looking for:

  * Linux is in use, at least in some capacity (more the merrier!)
  * little or no M$, at least in my realm of control
  * HP-UX or Solaris, or DEC Unix (no previous professional admin
        experience, but it's very POSIX compliant and from using
        it in college seems a lot like linux)
  * small, flat, intelligent management structure (yeah I know, oxymoron)
  * a certain degree of autonomy

To explain a bit:

We have a lot of Linux in-house, and our new manager is reluctant to sign
off on the purchase of some new hardware that we desperately need,
partly because it's Linux (from VALinux) and partly for political reasons.
He's told us that he will approve it, but there's an unspecified reason
for him to delay, which I'm guessing is because despite what he's told us,
he's looking at alternatives.  Wether or not he signs the damn PO's is
becomming largely irrelevant...

One of the reasons I took this job was that Paul Lussier described the
environment as one where we techie types are recognized as knowing more
than the managers about how to build solutions, and we were given the
freedom to decide what and how to implement them.

This is what's changed, or at least appears to be beginning to, and that
is what I'm looking for.  Management seems to be taking a "we know better"
attitude, and they're simply wrong, as we've already proven with such
things as their choice of ISP (which has given us no end of trouble since
we've come under their sphere of control). We have the experience and
expertise to make such decisions, or at least more than management does,
and I don't want them dictating what crufty "solutions" we will be buying
to "fulfill" our needs.  They simply aren't capable.

I'm not necessarily looking for more money, as money isn't everything, but
I'm looking for a place where my input counts. At the very least, a place
with knowledgeable managers, who can think for themselves, and don't need
a magazine article to tell them what to do, when they have intelligent,
perfectly capable technical staff available to make or aid in making these
decisions.

If anyone knows of such a Utopia, please stop hoarding! :)

I think it may be time to start my own Linux start-up... :D

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"    "Who watches the watchmen?"
-Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347

Derek D. Martin      |  Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
Arris Interactive    |  A Nortel Company
derekm at mediaone.net  |  dmartin at ne.arris-i.com