Cabling the House - BEst source for wire/tools???

Neil,

For some things, Ebay is very good:  I bought an 8-port
10BaseT/10Base2 hub there for $20, and it works fine, although
prices climb dramatically as you get into the "current" stuff
like 100BaseT.  3c509-Combo cards can be had for ~$10 in
quantities of 2+, but prices also climb on NICs when you go up
to 100 Mbps.  If you're just doing print sharing and occasional
surfing, 10 Mbps will work fine, and most of the "Home LAN" kits
you'll see in Staples/OfficeMax are just bundles of 10BaseT
stuff that manufacturers are retiring from their commercial
product lines.

If you're looking for Cat 5 wire, Greybar up in Somerville is
good:  ask for Debra Kizis and tell her I sent you.  For some
situations, premade Cat 5 is cheaper and easier than doing it
yourself:  it depends on your situation and whether you can
snake cable that already has connectors on it.  Either way,
Debra will be able to get everything you need.  Of course, the
biggest cost is the time you'll take to install the wire, so Cat
5 is almost essential.

I stay away from Black Box - they're expensive and tend to cut
corners on quality IMHO.  Given the "one time" nature of these
expenses, it pays to get equipment from Cisco/IBM/3Com, etc.

YMMV.

Bill Horne