3Com modem

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Nick Oleksinski wrote:

> Hi:
> I have a 56k PCI modem (not winmodem) made by 3Com.  I have loaded Suse
> Linux 6.3 on my machine and when I do a 'lspci -tv' I get an error that
> says something like "3Com Modem... not recognized".

Last I checked (which was quite a while ago) there weren't any PCI modems
that weren't winmodems... don't know if that's changed.

> Also, I'm trying to get my SoundBlaster Live! sound card working (I've
> installed the emu10k1 module on top of soundcore) but I'm not having any
> luck.  Everything seems loaded & running yet no sound is coming out of
> the speakers.  Anyone got any helpful hints out there?

make sure you have a line like:

  alias sound emu101k

in your /etc/conf.modules file, and I know this sounds obvious, but make
sure you've got your speakers plugged into the right hole. ;)  If you've
got only two speakers or headphones, it's the SECOND hole from the
joystick port, not the one immediately next to it.  This was a source of
confusion for me for a while, because my windows config was set for 4
speakers, so having it in the second audio out actually did work under
windows, but not under Linux, which assumes 2 speakers.

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"    "Who watches the watchmen?"
-Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347

Derek D. Martin      |  Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
Arris Interactive    |  A Nortel Company
derekm at mediaone.net  |  dmartin at ne.arris-i.com