Cabling the House - BEst source for wire/tools???

The 'Depot carries both plenum and non-plenum grade CAT5 wire and Ideal
tools (punchdowns and CAT5 line testers). They also have started to
carry Leviton CAT5 RJ45 jacks/plugs/plates. The best place for this
stuff is Graybar which is a national distributor and has locations in
Boston and Somerville (right behind the 'Depot !) locally in Eastern MA.
They carry an extensive line of communications supplies including CAT5,
CAT5e, CAT6 wire, 110- and 66-punchdown blocks, distribution frames,
troughs, patch cords, jack panels, etc. for both copper and fiber.

Graybar's prices on CAT5 wire and Ideal tools are comparable to the
Depot. However, Graybar carries Hubbell's line of RJ45 and optics gear.
The Hubbell modular RJ45 line is about half the price of the Leviton
line and has a much more extensive selection. However, Graybar is a
wholesaler and will not sell to the general public.

If you're serious about doing this work, I would recommend getting a
CAT5 line tester. Ideal makes one for about $65. It will rapidly verify
your connections (16 per run !!!) for shorts, opens, miswires, and
crosses not only in the wiring but also in the jacks and patch cables as
well. Much better than a continuity tester and well worth it.

Regards,
Art
artparmet at mediaone.net

-