Linux/Unix Jobs

Pausing before the last shore of time, Derek Martin wrote:

> Ok people, due to some recent changes in management here, both in
> personnel and in philosophy, I'm getting really annoyed.
>
> <<snip>>
>
> environment as one where we techie types are recognized as knowing more
> than the managers about how to build solutions, and we were given the
> freedom to decide what and how to implement them.
>
> <<snip>>
>
> I'm looking for a place where my input counts. At the very least, a place
> with knowledgeable managers, who can think for themselves,
>
> <<snip>>
>
> If anyone knows of such a Utopia, please stop hoarding! :)
>
> I think it may be time to start my own Linux start-up... :D

Derek,
I think your sentiments are shared by a good many people here; I haven't
been able to make to a BLU metting in over a year because I'm always
traveling!

I've have some thought about this a while (there's not much to do in hotel
rooms) but didn't know how it would be received here.  Let me know if it's
not appropriate.

The idea of doing some independent work is quite appealing, but the
question is WHAT to do; what solutions need to be built?  What will
gain wide acceptance or alternately deep penetration in a particular
segment.

I was thinking it would be cool to have brainstorming sessions with some
members to flush out some ideas/answers.  From there you could do a little
refining and then the interested people could spin off and do some work
by themselves.

Another idea is rather than just have a bulletin board of job postings,
have an non-profit organization front the collective expertise of the
(interested) members.  It becomes a clearinghouse(??) for short-term
contracts.  Propective clients get a very quick answer on whether we can
or cannot meet their needs, plus there is added value of an organization
of people to give support as needed.  The organization would take a small
percentage to cover expenses; they key is to provide a good environment
for the sale of services of the members.
(short term contracts is onyl used as an example, personally, I get bored
after doing the same work for more than 6 mo.)

They key things I'm trying to acomplish is setting up an environment where
people can do the things they WANT to do, have more flexibility in setting
their schedules and make a healthy living.  Both ideas can accomodate
different kinds of people with different levels of experience:  domain
experts, project managers, architects, technical experts, mentors.
The really interesting thing for me is the cross-fertilization of ideas.

I'm simplifying a lot; I realize there quite a bit work involved in
setting either up, but the picture comes across, hopefully.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
--
-==-