Suse 6.3 dhclient with MediaOne RR failure

I installed Suse this weekend.  I have to say I was disappointed in the
install procedure.  Yast2 did not let me change what partitions I wanted
to use for what, so I had to use yast.  It wanted to install so many
packages, it would not fit in 2G.  I had to pare it down by hand.  I
also
see no way of configuring masquerade or firewall within yast or KDE.

Anyway, dhclient would not get an IP address from M1X.  This is, of
course, a showstopper for me.  The error message was "no DHCPOFFERs
received".  I tried running it in the foreground with -d, and editing
dhclient.conf to increase timeouts, etc.  No go.

I know someone in roadrunner.techtalk.linux replied that it worked fine
for him, but I
don't see how it could work for him but not me.

Any advice?
-