The future of linux

My main interest is in a workstation-cum-server for development and fun.  I have
that.  The next version of GNOME and Enlightenment will be totally kick-ass, but
I don't really need it.  It's just nice to have.

     Thats kind of where I'm coming from too.  I'm not really very excited
     about a scaled down, idiot proof version of Linux.  There's already a
     couple user OS's taking up shelf space.  I like going down to
     MicroCenter and picking up a server/workstation networking OS for $15.
      Check out the trend.  Redhat and Caldera already market a basic and a
     delux$.                 *Shelf Space*

     I had an Apple][+ back in the day.  It came with a full schematic.  By
     the time the ][e came out, it came with a like 12 page glossy that
     said "for any technical issues, see your authorized dealer"

     That may well be where the 'World Domination' types will take Linux.

     Don't get me wrong.  I am excited to see it taking hold in the server
     and embeded devices world.  I think it's great.  I just think the push
     for a desktop Linux-for-users is an anti-Microsoft sentiment that will
     benifit the corporations that sell PC's and software to the masses far
     more than we who already enjoy using the real thing.  Is that the
     future of Linux?  Maybe.

     PS: please pardon previous post with disrespectful "Re[2]:" in subject
     line.