NIC's and Hubs

----Original Message-----
From:	Henry Smith [SMTP:hjpsmith at earthlink.net]
Sent:	Tuesday, February 01, 2000 5:34 PM
To:	discuss at Blu.Org
Subject:	NIC's and Hubs

Hi again,

Still trying to get my LAN up and working. Got some more RAM for
the
Gateway P5-60 as people had suggested. But now I come up with
two questions.
 [snip]

 2.) Also, I am thinking that a hub is a hub is a hub <G>, so
just about any
hub ought to do if that is the case. Does anyone care to comment
on this as
well?

[Bill Horne]  In general, a 10BaseT hub is a 10BaseT hub:  one
size fits all.  However, if you're going to spring for the
100BaseT cards, and you have more than three clients in the
network, I'd recommend spending the extra money for an 100 Mbps
Ethernet switch, since the greatest gain in Ethernet efficiency
will come from eliminating collisions on the LAN

Be warned, however, that 100BaseT is the current "commercial
standard", and cards/switches are priced accordingly.  You can
buy used 10Base2/10BaseT cards for ~$8/ea on Ebay, while
100BaseT units are usually at least $90.  The switches are also
much more expensive.

At $8/ea, 10 Mbps is a fine starting point, and you can relagate
them to print servers with no regrets if you want to upgrade
later.  A typical 10BaseT segment running full duplex
point-to-point will have throughputs in the 700 KiloBYTE/second
range, which will be adequate for even the fastest ADSL or cable
hookups:  it's only if you add many clients to a segment that
performance drops, and even in crowded LANs it'll be around 250
KiloBYTES/second.  In any case, you can still boost performance
for very short $ by simply putting another $8 3c509 NIC in your
IPCHAINS box and thus (effectively) using it as an Ethernet
switch, aka router.  Of course, if you do a lot of heavy file
transfers between machines, where the Internet bottleneck
doesn't apply, then you'll want more speed.

Whatever you do, don't cheap out on the wiring.  With data
speeds constantly on the rise, it pays to put in CAT 5 wire and
connectors AS A MINIMUM, and some newer (admittedly expensive)
houses are now being sold with siamese fiber connections already
in the walls.

YMMV, usual disclaimers apply, this tape will self-destruct in
five seconds...

Bill Horne
-