PGP/GPG

> Anybody have any good information on using PGP/GPG in Linux with either
> pine or Netscape Communicator?  Links are quite welcome.

You can start with the pgp4pine distribution at:

  http://pgp4pine.flatline.de

In particular, the install documentation:

  http://pgp4pine.flatline.de/install.html

Might give you some ideas on how to implement things yourself.

A google (www.google.com) search for "pine pgp" will yield a variety of
useful links.

> I mucked with trying to use gpg as my alternate editor in pine... it
> created a file in /tmp which contained a PGP-signed message, but when it
> was done the results weren't sucked back into pine/pico.

Generally, pgp is set up as a send filter (and a display filter, for
receiving message).  Pine has special tokens that can be used to pass, for
example, the list of recipients to a sender filter -- so that pgp knows
who to encrypt a message to, if you're not just signing it.

The links above (and pine's own documentation) have more information on
send and display filters.

Incidentally, you *can* set up pgp to work via the "alternate
editor" command; you just have to make sure that the pgp signed/encrypted
output *replaces* the temporary file that pine passes on the command
line.  The following short shell script works just fine:

  #!/bin/sh

  pgp -ast $1 && mv $1.asc $1

(This will also work fine with gpg with the correct command line
options; in the above command, '-a' means "use ascii armor mode",
'-s' means "sign only", and '-t' means "the file is a text file").

Note, however, that pgp works much better via the send filters,
particularly if you're encrypting (rather than just signing) a message.

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at larsshack.org> --> http://www.larsshack.org/

-