too secure!

     Hi,

     Well... I've done it now...

     I have two machines running Slackware 4.0.  One is connected to the
     internet.  That's the machine I usually use.  The other has a tiny
     little B&W monitor from the 80's, so I always log in remotely from X.

     I went on a security binge a month or two ago, and locked down most my
     services in /etc/services on the machine I usually use.  Pretty much
     anything I didn't recognize got pounded ('#'ed).

     Yesterday I logged in to my second box from an xterm, set the DISPLAY
     environment and tried to open up emacs.  'Unable to connect to host'
     or some such message came up on my screen (I don't recall the exact
     message).

     I thought about it for a while, checked /etc/hosts.allow and
     /etc/hosts.deny, then it dawned on me... I had closed most my ports.
     Unfortunatly, I can't remember (if I ever knew) which ports let me run
     X applications on a remote host.  Could someone please tell me?

     I'm really up for any input on proper security for X, as I've heard it
     can be exploited pretty easily by the initiated.  Like how do I let my
     local network log in but keep the 'outsiders' out?  I know there are
     some encription and ticket utilities available, but they seem like
     they may entail more than I'm ready to take on right now.

     TIA
     Peter
-