Subject: Re: too secure!
Author:  Derek Martin <dmartin at ne.arris-i.com> at InterNet
Date:    2/11/00 1:25 AM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 pfarrar at learningco.com wrote:

>      I went on a security binge a month or two ago, and locked down most my
>      services in /etc/services on the machine I usually use.  Pretty much
>      anything I didn't recognize got pounded ('#'ed).
>
>      Yesterday I logged in to my second box from an xterm, set the DISPLAY
>      environment and tried to open up emacs.  'Unable to connect to host'
>      or some such message came up on my screen (I don't recall the exact
>      message).

The port is generally 6000, but there's no mention of it in /etc/services
-- I suspect your problem is xauth related.  If you give us the exact
message we may be able to be of more help.

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"    "Who watches the watchmen?"
-Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347

Derek D. Martin      |  Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
Arris Interactive    |  A Nortel Company
derekm at mediaone.net  |  dmartin at ne.arris-i.com