Ethernet problem... Hardware? Software?

I just installed a linksys ne100 (or some similar model.  Tulip driver)
card, and am getting

eth0: transmit timed out, status e4260000, cbr12 000000cc, resetting

and this repeats every several (approx 2 to 5) seconds until I reboot
the machine thereby resetting the interface.

I am using a hub I have used before (10/100), tried old and new
cables, and different NIC cards (tulip driver in RH 6.1).

I want to use 2 NIC cards in this box (use as a firewall, and NAT server)

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help! ... Jack

-