signals not working in shells run under emacs on SUSE 6.3

Ron Peterson wrote:

> Jerry Callen wrote:
> >
> > I've been having a problem running shells in an emacs buffer on SUSE 6.3.
> > For some reason signals (like ^C) are not being passed thru to the shell.
> > What's especially weird is that it *does* work when I'm logged in as root.
> > Does this ring a bell with anyone?
>
> Try ^C^C.  Emacs captures ^C, even in a shell environment.
>
> Hope you're not offended if I'm being over-obvious :-)

Nah; I wasn't clear in my first post, so I deserved that.

I *do* know how to use shells in an emacs buffer, I've been doing it for
the better part of a decade. I know that you have to do ^C^C, or use
the little signals menu (but not mousing is why I like emacs...).

For some reason this isn't working with SUSE 6.3 (worked fine in all the
RedHat releases I've used). It *does* work if I'm running emacs as root.

Here's one observable difference, but I don't know what to do about it.
If I fire up a shell buffer and then do ^X^C (to exit emacs), I get the
usual prompt about having active processes, and a buffer that lists the
processes. When running as an ordinary user, that buffer looks like this:

Proc         Status   Buffer         Tty         Command
----         ------   ------         ---         -------
shell	     run      *shell*	     (none)	 /bin/bash -i

When I do it as root, I get this:

Proc         Status   Buffer         Tty         Command
----         ------   ------         ---         -------
shell	     run      *shell*	     /dev/ttyp0	 /bin/bash -i

So the root process has a (presumably pseudo) tty. BTW, this
is running emacs as an X client, not in a terminal emulator.

This is emacs 20.4.

xemacs (version 21.0) has the same problem.

Ideas?

-- Jerry Callen                      Mobile: 617-388-3990
   Narsil                            FAX:    617-876-5331
   63 Orchard Street                 email:  jcallen at narsil.com
   Cambridge, MA 02140-1328

   PGP public keys available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu
   fingerprints:
       DH/DSS key ID 0x1806252C: 7669 A4CD 759A 6EB7 AF04
                                 C10D B659 2A4B 1806 252C
       RSA    key ID 0x99F7AAE5: D265 DC9C 13FD 6110
                                 30F5 1874 A206 24B1
-