Disabling sendmail

Not so true.  MH is configured on RedHat to connect to the local SMTP
port (25) to deliver outgoing mail.   This was one of "issues" with RedHat
early on, but I have since figured out how to correct that cruddy behaviour.

If you're using PINE, I do believe it's intelligent enough to work
without having local port/25 sendmail running.