stray button-up events: hardware or software bug?

[Platform: Red Hat 6.1 on a Sony F-150 laptop.   Default X
installation, the mouse is an ALPS glidepad with 2 buttons, I'm
running with 3-button emulation.]

Symptoms: Extra button-up events, often half a second to a second
after a real click.   My first thought was a flaky button, but after
running xev and watching the event stream, I see extra button-up
events but NO extra button-down events.  I would imagine that any
hardware bug would produce extra events of both kinds.  Any hints for
further diagnosis?  All suggestions welcomed.

John Aspinall
IS Robotics, Inc.
http://www.isr.com/
-