floppy access problems are back..

"Kevin M. Gleason" wrote:

> I did what you suggested but still (after rebooting) when I try to:
> mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> I get the message
> mount: only root can do that

Ordinarily, only root can mount a filesystem.  The mount command does
have the `user' option, which if you include it in your fstab file for
that filesystem, will allow a regular user to mount a floppy. It is
IMPORTANT that you READ THE MAN PAGE for mount regarding this option,
because it does have certain implications.

> which makes me wonder if the mount command doesn't have permissions set to
> 700 - would that be it? When I try to mount the drive from the desktop icon
> with a native ext2 disk it mounts (even when I'm not guest) but when I try
> to do a mount at the terminal--I get that message.

It's easy to tell if the command has permissions 500 or 700; if you are
not root, you will get "Permission denied." when you try to run it.  So
that's not the case.  If you have the `usermode' package installed, it
includes config files and commands that allow regular users who are
logged in on the console (or X session, still considered the console) to
run certain commands that are normally only available to root.  Not all
distributions have it, but most more recent ones do, so I understand.
Among them is definitely RedHat (all of the 6.X releases and maybe
earlier).

I've mucked with this stuff, but only a little bit, so I'm not too
familiar with this.  But check out the man pages for:

userinfo(1)
usermount(1)
userpasswd(1)
consolehelper(8)
userhelper(8)

[Note: the number in parenthesis is the "section" of the manual that the
pages are in; that's a fairly standard way to indicate that. See the man
manpage for more details on sections...]

--
PGP/GPG Public key at http://cerberus.ne.mediaone.net/~derek/pubkey.txt

Derek D. Martin      |  Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
Arris Interactive    |  A Nortel Company
derekm at mediaone.net  |  dmartin at ne.arris-i.com