boot camp item

Scott Stirling wrote:

> But good God, the dynamic pages of the site are based on Tcl?!  Come on!
> You could type in and email the web pages in the time it takes for those Tcl
> pages to process.  Or maybe it's the AOL server on HP-UX that slows it down.
> Yipes.

I usually get reasonably fast responses (i.e., no worse than static pages at a
lot of other Web sites) when I visit the dynamic pages on Greenspun's site;
maybe the network was congested when you tried it out, or maybe his site had an
unusually heavy load that day.

AOLserver has a Tcl interpreter built in, so anything that slows down the server
will slow down the interpreter as well.  The servers (at his site) connect to
Oracle databases on the back end; I suspect that if there's a bottleneck, it's
more likely to be in the network or the database than the Web server.

--
perl -le"for(@w=(q[dm='r 0rJaa,u0cksthe';dc=967150;dz=~s/d/substrdm,\
(di+=dc%2?4:1)%=16,1ordi-2?'no':'Perl h'/e whiledc>>=1;printdz]))\

-