What do I do now?!?!? ;-)

Peter,

Vmware works in a unique way. To get the best performance of vmware you need to
install a guest OS, linux being your host. You need a lot of disk space, and a
lot of memory would help. When you install a guest OS vmware will create a
virtual file system for the guest OS to run on. The guest OS thinks that it is
really unpartitioned space on a real HDD. 	This is actually a file in the
guest OS's directory.  These are the file that are vmware reads.
not the size of win98.dsk (the virtual file system)

drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Mar 14 23:04 ./
drwxr-xr-x  10 root     nogroup      1024 Feb 23 22:25 ../
-rwxr--r--   1 brad     brad          717 Mar  7 18:36 win98.cfg*
-rw-r--r--   1 brad     brad     389716992 Mar 14 23:04 win98.dsk
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        13253 Mar 14 23:04 win98.log
-rw-r--r--   1 brad     brad         8496 Mar 14 23:04 win98.nvram
[brad at jupiter win98]$

That was just some background info. Now to install a guest OS. You'll probably
want to use the wizard (the easiest). Go through the proper steps, and chose
the options that you want. The virtual disk space will be the *.dsk file.
( Since the virtual file system grows dynamicly you can make the virtual disk
space larger then space that you actually have if you plan to get a bigger HDD
sometime. My virtual disk is 2GB, but the .dsk file is only 390MB. ) Then you
put in the CD od the guest OS that you want to install, and click power on on
vmware. When you click on the poert button you will see the vmware BIOS pop up,
and go through its sequece, when you see the BIOS count memory, vmware is
actully grabbing that memory away from your host OS. If the vmware BIOS counts
32MB of memory then vmware will be taking up 35Mb of memory (32 ro guest os
and 3 for vmware itself). you can change the about of memory that vmware grabs
in the config editor. So having a lot of memory helps.  I hope this helps you
get started

--Brad

-