Unusual CD-ROM problem from the Installfest

I've had a CDU-33 running under Linux and OS/2, but it was about five
years ago and my memory is a little hazy.  First, configure it using
the CDU-31 driver; they are the same drive, except that the 31 is 1X and
the 33 is 2X.  They use the same interfaces and controllers.

There are two different interface configurations.  One configuration uses
a standalone controller card and the other uses a proprietary interface on
one of the older (PAS) sound cards.  Ignore anything you see in the
documentation about using the sbcd driver; the cdu31a driver is correct.

The driver is a horrible kludge -- which entirely matches the hardware.
The drive can be run in polled mode, meaning with no IRQ enabled, even if
the IRQ works in Windows.  The cdu31a driver also should not be allowed to
autoprobe, but should be given an explicit argument through Lilo:

	append="cdu31a=0x340,0"

Some sound cards do not allow disabling the IRQ, in which case you had
better make the argument to Lilo agree with the hardware.

By the way, that 0x340 looks wrong to me.  All of the CDU-3x interfaces I
have ever seen built onto sound cards were either at 0x220 if the sound
card was at 0x230 or at 0x220 if the sound card was at 0x220.  You should
be able to get this information from Windows 95, however.

Finally, the CDU-3x sometimes disables itself if it is powered up with no
CD in the drawer.  This may have been specific to my unit.

-- Mike

-