Annoying Spam Problem

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Jon wrote:

<ghia>Peter,
<ghia>
<ghia>I appreciate your reply very much, but I need to do more than just block
<ghia>the email coming in.  Right now we have thousands of mails coming in,
<ghia>eating up
<ghia>bandwidth, and most importantly we have people all over the world thinking
<ghia>that my little company is providing them with the finest smut this side of
<ghia>the white house.  The last thing I want is for our web site to get blocked
<ghia>on because of indecent material  (other than the Microsoft logo)!!!
<ghia>
<ghia>We have tried to contact the "company" who runs the domain, but they are
<ghia>in Turkey, and don't answer their phones (I doubt they would speak
<ghia>english even if they did).  Does anyone know about any laws on spamming??
<ghia>
<ghia>Thanks for your reply,
<ghia>Jon

Why dont you try this out.
>From the DNS details, find the namserver and if this is hosted by an ISP,
send a mail to them like abuse at ispname. Most ISP's will take action. The
contracts themselves say that the facility cannot be used for spamming
etc, so they are bound to. Or try to get the list of ISP's in turkey and
send them to all so that they block all traffic for/from these spammers.

You can inform your ISP too, so as to block these mails, if you have
something unique to identify them.

At your side too, you can do some sendmail tweaking to block such mails,
based on some criteria like the In-Reply-To: header.. I havent tried this
out, but is worth trying.

best of Luck.

-