Video Cards et. al.

Jerry,

Try irqtune to resolve your irq-conflict problems.  This is
a good tool which both shows and and allows you to change
your IRQ settings as you want them, and provides insightful
guidance about preventing conflicts.

In the open-source drivers world, my impression is that the
best 2d board with good 3d is Matrox, and the best 3d board
is the Voodoo3 3000.  This Voodoo card is used and preferred
by one of the programming team leaders at Loki games for
Linux, and he has complete freedom of choice.

Matrox will give you better 2d, and also excellent 3d, and
the 3d drivers are mainstream open source.  Research Daryll
Strauss at Precision Insight for more info on the open
source 3d drivers.  His current priorities seem to be Voodoo
first, then Matrox.  I may see him tomorrow, and I would be
willing to proxy your questions to him.

I saw the top of the line Matrox G400-dual-display-32M-Max
board at a computer swap meet last month for $159, OEM.

John

Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Since I upgraded to SuSE 6.3, I have been having some troubles with my graphics card, and I think I finally tracked it down. I have a 4M ATI Mach64 AGP. The problem appears to be related to the Vesa frame buffer. I put in an 8M xpert98 PCI (which causes an IRQ conflict), and the problems I had been obsering went away.  SuSE 6.3 uses XFree86 3.3.5. I don't generally play video games on my Linux system, but I want to upgrade to a good board, and I would like some recommendations. I may go to the KGP show tomorrow.

snipped.
-