Installation problem Anecdote

    The problem with any project is experience. If you have successfully
done it before it likely will work again. the real issues come with
"ameteurism" where the person does not have extensive experience and may
be further hindered by lack of insight into the project at hand.
    One reason I like the Macintosh interface is its brute simplicity,
but that does not mean it is perfect. One still needs to understand how
the product works to make it work at its peak performance. You just
don't need to understand as much about the hardware and software issues
unless you are programming the software itself.
    Windows is somnewhat removed from this simplicity but still much
more evolved that most of UNIX as far as the user interface is
concerned. However, for those with the competency to tear into the code,
I'm sure LINUX and UNIX is a dream to play with.
    What is necessary for LINUX to succeed as a general use interface is
for the installation to become more foolproof while still allowing the
seasoned pros to hack in without concern or difficulty. My real
disappointment with my own troubles is that I think I probably did most
things correctly yet somewhere there remains an issue that neither I nor
the Installer (SuSE or Mandrake) was able to detect. It may well be as
much an issue with the BIOS settings as the AI interface of each
installer that failed to set up the partitions in the most effective
(and necessary) manner. Someone will make a killing if they can come up
with a reliable universal OS installer to allow easily configured
multi-boot installations on personal workstations or even a single
installation on servers. A super LILO of sorts.

Randy Hofland

-