Help installing RH Linux 6.1 on laptop...

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Kevin M. Gleason wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am writing this for Nancy who is trying to install Linux 6.1 Red Hat
> on a laptop with no luck.
>
> Hardware:
> Mag Portable Verity VLT Series
> Intel MMX Technology
> Authentic AMD AMD-K6 3D Processor
> 32M Ram
> 3G Hard Disk (IDE)
> Built-in CDROM and floppy
> Trident 9660 Linear Accelerator for PCI
>
> We fdisk'd her hard drive and wiped the dos partition then rebooted with
> Linux boot disk and CDROM.
> Computer hangs now at the welcome screen.
>
> Any thoughts to make this install a reality? Needs Linux ASAP.

One possibility: you may have wiped out a file that the "suspend-to-disk"
feature is using; the BIOS is looking for it and dying.

The first thing to do is to go into the setup program and see if you can
turn any suspend features off. If not, you may have to boot from a DOS
floppy (if you can!), and use whatever utility came with the computer to
recreate the file. (And you'll probably have to use fdisk to create a FAT
partition first, so you'll have somewhere to put the file.)

Mark J. Dulcey               mark at buttery.org
Visit my house's home page:  http://www.buttery.org/
Visit my home page:          http://www.buttery.org/markpoly/

-