LINUX/GNU Tutorials

Jerry A Clabaugh wrote:

> Just yesterday I was expressing my lack of enthusiasm for PDF to
> a co-worker.  He assured me that PDF's are much smaller than PS's,
> and therefore better for downloading and e-mailing.

PDF's are basically just compressed postscript.  A little more to it
than that but not much.  Compress a postscript file and compare it's
size to what you get if you distill it into a PDF.  Pretty similar.

The nice thing about PDF isn't the file format itself, but what Adobe
has provided in their reader and particularly their Acrobat (or Exchange
or whatever you like to call it) application.  Pretty user friendly dah
te dah.

Personally, I'm hoping SVG will make history of the whole lot of messy
proprietary yucky vector / metafile formats.  Anyone know when this is
supposed to wrap up?  It's looked close for awhile now.  What's the
holdup?

Ron Peterson
rpeterson at yellowbank.com
-