Help installing RH Linux 6.1 on laptop...

What do you mean "the welcome screen?"  Exactly how do you partition the
disk?  Remember that, depending upon the disk controller and BIOS, you may
not be able to boot a partition larger than 2 GB.  If the machine has LBA
support and the boot partition is between 2 GB and 8 GB, as this is, try
using the "linear" option when running Lilo.

My interpretation of "the welcome screen" is that you are able to boot
Linux successfully and then something goes wrong in userland.

Many laptops seems to use drives that report fictitious geometry.  (An LBA
drive should always report 16 heads, 63 sectors, and 16383 cylinders,
which combined works as a sort of magic cookie.)  You can check this with
Linux "fdisk" and the (p)rint partition table command.  If you need to
adjust this, you can use the e(x)pert mode to set the geometry manually
and use this to write a special partition table to the disk; Linux will
then understand this "secret handshake" which it boots and will display a
"PTBL" correction on the partition check.

Have you tried any other distribution?

-- Mike

-