Long Lasting Linux Laptops?

I generally get better battery life on laptops than Windows 9x when
running in Linux text mode than Windows, and comparable when running in
X/Windows mode.  I can get my NEC to run about 4.5 hours in text mode if I
clock it down and enable aggressive power saving in Linux, which is nearly
twice what it can do in Windows 9x.

You must make sure that APM support is compiled into the kernel and that
it is enabled in your CMOS setup.  No standard distribution kernels have
APM support, as far as I know; you must build your own.

If you are not using the wireless modem, then you probably should be able
to cut power to it.  Exactly how this happens is device-specific, so
Linux may not be able to do this.  If it is PCMCIA, try removing it.

-- Mike

-