ghostscript installation

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 dmoylan at ibm.net wrote:

> on a redhat 5.2 system, i replaced gs4.03 with a new download of gs5.50,
> and compiled and installed it.
>
> the original set up had
> 	- binaries in /usr/bin,
> 	- supporting stuff in /usr/share/ghostscript/4.03
> the new set up has
> 	- binaries in /usr/local/bin,
> 	- supporting stuff in /usr/local/share/ghostscript/5.50
>
> running gs from the command line seems to work fine, as /usr/local/bin
> is in my path.
>
> printtool, however, does not find ghostscript, and the printer as a
> consequence, does not function.
>
> what do i need to do?

Printtool just sets up printers. It doesn't have anything to do with
normal operation of them. But the filters it set up contain path
dependencies.

You have a few choices:

1. Rebuild 5.50, adjusting the makefile to put things in the same places
they used to be.

2. Edit your existing printcap file and print filters to change the paths
appropriately. This will preclude using printtool for future printer
setup, though.

Neither of these are perfect solutions, because all will get in the way in
one way or another when you upgrade your system. #1 will cause dependency
failures, so some packages may refuse to install. #2 will get clobbered if
you upgrade. For what it's worth, I'd choose #1.

The perfect solution would be more work - make a GS 5.50 RPM and install
it.

Mark J. Dulcey               mark at buttery.org
Visit my house's home page:  http://www.buttery.org/
Visit my home page:          http://www.buttery.org/markpoly/