MS Office for Linux?

It seems to me that what Microsoft has a monopoly of is not so much
operating systems as "Killer Aps" for the office. Everyone uses MS
Office because everyone else does, and they can't read what others
write, or write what others can read, unless they use MS Office.

If the specs for MS Office files were commoditized, the problem would
(largely) go away. They should probably be made a standard, and in
addition, perhaps, put under the control of ANSII, or BEMA, or ...

If my word processor of choice, running under my operating system of
choice, on my computer of choice, could read and write whatever my
colleagues and correspondents wrote and read, I would be free (in
Richard Stallman's sense of the word).

Richard Royston

<rjroyston at earthlink.net>
-