Problems running Red Hat Linux 6.1 and 6.2

My best guesses:

1. You have a corrupt swap space.  Try booting from the floppy and seeing
if you can do mkswap onto whatever your swap space is, usually a partition
in the case of a standard Red Hat installation.

2. Your kernel is trying to operate the hard drive in some mode it does
not correctly support.  As a test (you really don't want to run this way),
you can try starting the interface in slow mode.  For example, to slow
/dev/hda, you would use "hda=slow" at the Linux boot prompt.  You can also
try changing things in your CMOS setup, disabling DMA mode and using PIO
mode instead, and then dropping to a low PIO mode (such as 0).  If these
kinds of changes fix your problems, you have some sort of hardware issue,
possibly a bad IDE cable.

-- Mike

Bilow Computer Science, Inc. | http://www.bilow.com/ | Michael S. Bilow
Cranston, RI 02920-5554, USA | mike at bilow.com        | President