the further adventures of setting up Ethernet between two Linux m achines

Thanks to everyone who answered my previous question about the 486.  I had,
indeed, neglected to bring the interface up with ifconfig.  Once I did that,
horse-nettle (the 486) could telnet into its own Ethernet interface
(192.168.1.2) and petunia (its younger and more technologically advanced
sibling) with no problem.

Well, *almost* no problem.  See, petunia didn't have any accounts with a
working password, aside from root, and it wouldn't let me log in as root
over the network (probably just as well).  So I unplugged the keyboard and
monitor from horse-nettle, plugged them into petunia, and then tried to
telnet from petunia into horse-nettle.  This led to the error message
"telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host".  I looked at
the routing tables with `arp -v -n`, and got a list of 13 IP addresses
(including horse-nettle's), all of them with "(incomplete)" in the HWaddress
column.  Then the really strange things began happening:

# arp --delete 192.168.1.2
SIOCDARP(pub): No such file or directory

# route del 192.168.1.0
SOICDELRT: No such process

What now, O network wizards?

Of course, fool that I was, I didn't take down the hardware address of
horse-nettle's Ethernet card *before* I shut it down and unplugged the
monitor from it....

--seth