Laptop Linux Question

Start here:

	http://pcmcia.sourceforge.org/

PCMCIA is not part of the kernel.  If you want PCMCIA, you have to add it
either as patches to kernel source (really just adding directories and
files) or you need to apply the appropriate package for your distribution.
For example, Debian has a package "pcmcia-cs" which adds core support and
"pcmcia-modules-x.x.x" (where "x.x.x" is your kernel version) which
provide binary support and "pcmcia-source" which provides source including
both kernel patch and non-kernel components.

The "ds" (Driver Services) module is simply a "super-client" that keeps
housekeeping data and intermediates between the hardware-specific driver
for your socket controller and the hardware-specific driver for you
particular cards.  If you want the extremely gory details, see the PCMCIA
Programmer's Guide:

	http://pcmcia.sourceforge.org/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-PROG-7.html

You should not be doing "insmod" at all on these drivers.  If there is a
valid module dependency table (built by "depmod"), then you should use
"modprobe" instead.  In fact, "modprobe 3c574_cs" would likely be the
correct command to get where you want to go.  Note that, if you hard the
"cardmgr" daemon installed, it should process notifications about card
installations and removals and make the appropriate module changes.

Of course, since you're using Red Hat, I have no idea.

-- Mike

-