Laptop Linux Question

As you can probably tell, I am not a Red Hat fan.  I find it comparatively
difficult to use, at least to get it to do anything after installation.
However, I have no intention of starting a distribution war here, and I
freely admit this is just a personal preference, not represented to be an
objective assertion.

When I speak of the "kernel," I speak of the canonical kernel as it is
released by Linus.  No distribution actually uses this canonical kernel
unmodified.  Some distributions, such as Debian, have formal mechanisms
for selecting which kernel patches you want implemented, both as the
source and binary level.

I did recently install Red Hat 6.1 on one of my laptops.  This was an IBM
ThinkPad 701CS, which has a 75 MHz 486 CPU, 16 MB RAM, and 720 MB HD.
This is not, therefore, a machine which is really used for anything on a
regular basis and I regard it as a test machine now.  I did get PCMCIA
support to a limited extent out of the box, but not APM at all.  I don't
know why there is APM in your installation but not in mine.  Perhaps we
selected different installation kernels?  I just took all the defaults.

-- Mike

-