Where o where have my file descriptors gone

Greetings folks. I'm fairly new to the area, and am looking forward to
getting involved with the local lugs in the area here, as they have always
been a source of fun and learning elsewhere in my past. :o)

That being said, I really hate that my first post to this list has to be a
question, but I've been up all night fighting with a particular problem and
I've reached the end of my rope....am hoping someone here can loan me a few
extra feet (and not to hang myself with :o) )

I've got a box that I do admin work on...this box is currently pushing the
300 domain mark. And lo and behold, if we've not run out of file
descriptors and had apache puke in a major way. No biggie, I knew there
were ways to push the number of descriptors higher so I began like I always
do, with a web search.

Everything from "echo "4096" > /proc/sys/fs/file-max" right down to
actually editing limits.h and fs.h in /usr/src/linux/include/linux and
recompiling the kernel (per some info I found on
http://www.bb-zone.com/Proc/). Nothing seems to change the hard set 1024
descriptors per process number...

So currently, I have to reboot the box, log in, do a ulimit -n 4096, THEN
start apache, and everything is fine.

Am I just missing something really obvious here? Is there a way to change
permanently the hard set number of file descriptors available to a process?
Anyone out there done this? Faced this problem? Made it better? Any advice,
words of wisdom, or lots of coffee accepted.

Looking forward to meeting you folks,
Alex

ps: redhat 6.2, kernel 2.2.14.  output of lsof shows apache pushing roughly
1045, which is how I'm pretty certain despite everything I've done that
there is still a 1024 set somewhere that I've not managed to change yet.

-