shared libraries

The standard list of directories is specified when GCC is compiled.  On a
Debian slink system, for example, it is:

	/usr/lib/gcc-lib/
	/usr/lib/gcc/
	/usr/lib/
	/lib/

The list is sparse because (1) certain special subdirectories of these
(such as /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/) are hardcoded for special
purposes, and (2) it can cause major grief if this list is too inclusive
as you will end up linking the wrong functions or the wrong versions of
functions.  The goal here is predictable behavior.

-- Mike

-