Developing tools

Hi,
	just to put some other meat on the fire:
Purify is good, but when I asked a version for Linux they reply "What is
Linux?" (Duh!)
however I asked for it more than one year ago...
moreover their software does not run on Intel platform (I dunno if
inspecting the code is compiler related or architecture related..) so it
may be understandable...

There is another program that is suppose to do a great job:
Parasoft Insure++
Purify is their first competitor. The approach they use is completelly
different from the Pure one (they add extra code to your source, instead
of adding instructions on your object file).
They said that Insure++ is "more reliable" than purify: technically
purify puts marks on pointed area and watch if you pass the mark or free
it etc...; Insure instead track the pointer itself (there are a bunch of
article on their website!).
The technology is way sophisticated and they garantee "clean up" of the
application in few days (well, it depends on the application ;) ).

We asked for a trial version and they offer us a ONE DAY expiration copy
of Insure++ for Linux and a step by step help into the code
"Insuration".

The price (last summer) was $4,995
Unfortunatly we never had time to exploit this software..... (damn
deadlines).

My $.02

Max

Jerry Callen wrote:

> "James R. Van Zandt" wrote:
>
> > I recommend electric fence.
>
> I haven't been able to use electric fence on programs that allocate many
> small objects (like very large hash tables); it just eats so much memory
> that I run out of swap space, even after adding a half gig swap area.
>
> If you can afford it, and it's supported on your system, Purify is very
> nice. Besides detecting invalid memory references, it can also detect
> memory leaks, suppress known "OK" reference problems (like things in
> system libraries that you can't do anything about...), and other cool
> stuff. But it *is* expensive.
>
> -- Jerry Callen                      Mobile: 617-388-3990
>    Narsil                            FAX:    617-876-5331
>    63 Orchard Street                 email:  jcallen at narsil.com
>    Cambridge, MA 02140-1328
>
>    PGP public keys available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu
>    fingerprints:
>        DH/DSS key ID 0x1806252C: 7669 A4CD 759A 6EB7 AF04
>                                  C10D B659 2A4B 1806 252C
>        RSA    key ID 0x99F7AAE5: D265 DC9C 13FD 6110
>                                  30F5 1874 A206 24B1
> -

  Massimo Morin                                _...__..-'
mmorin at schedsys.com                          .'
 (617) 484 2999 h                          .'
 (617) 512 0203 c                        .'   Airline
                                       .'    Solutions
            .------._                 ;        Today
      `   `;'-.-'         '-    ._     Scheduling Systems Inc.
        .--'``  '._      - '   .       Three University Office Park
         `""'-.    `---'    ,          95 Sawyer Road
 ''--..__      `\                      Waltham, 02453 Massachusetts USA
         ``''---'`\      .'            +1 (781) 893-0390 x 126
                   `'. '               http://www.schedsys.com
Software Engineer    `'.
-