grumble... and a question

Actually, there is a readme in /usr/src/linux.
Linux is usually a symlink to the kernel sources, in my case:linux ->
linux-2.2.13.SuSE
The readme is fairly detailed. However, you can build and install very
easily:
Here are the steps:
1. cd /usr/src/linux
2. Configure the kernel with xconfig, menu config, config or simply edit
the .config file.
3. make bzlilo. This command builds the kernel and copies it to /boot after
renaming the current kernel as vmlinuz.old.
4. Make and install your modules. make modules modules-install
Assuming you have not compilation errors, all you need to do is reboot. I
suggest you add a section in your /etc/lilo.conf:
image = /boot/vmlinuz.old
  root = /dev/hda6
  label = old
Since make bzlilo runs lilo, you can do this before you boot the new
kernel. Note that the bzlilo command also copies the system.map.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group

-