More info on Wednesday's meeting?

--- David Kramer <david at kramer.ne.mediaone.net> wrote:
> I want to generate the flyer for the upcoming meeting so
> I can put some
> up at work.  The website says little more than that Eric
> will be there
> and "details will follow".  Before I generate the flyer I
> would  like to
> know if details will, in fact, follow or is that all that
> will be there.
> --

There was a message posted to the list last month, with
details about a talk Eric Raymond gave in March. (I'm
including below.) You may just want to paste in the
different details, b/c it seems the talks will be in the
same vein.  --KenG

To:
        discuss at Blu.Org
 Subject:
        I was asked for forward this to the list. re Eric
Raymond.
   Date:
        Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:30:13 -0500
   From:
        Jerry Feldman <gaf at gaf.ne.mediaone.net>  | Block
address

                                 Add Addresses

Note that Eric will be speaking at the BLU in April.
The Greater Boston Chapter of the Association of Computing
Machinery
March 16, 2000 meeting presents Eric Steven Raymond
speaking on "The Open
Source Movement."  The meeting is being co-sponsored with
the IEEE
Computer Society.  Here are some details:

Time

  Refreshments at 6:45 p.m.
  Meeting at 7:00 p.m.

Location

  Newman Auditorium
  GTE Internetworking (formerly BBN)
  Cambridge, MA (near Fresh Pond Circle)
  (for directions see:
http://www.gbcacm.org/meetings.shtml#Additional )

Optional Post-Meeting Dinner

  An optional pay-your-own dinner at Bertucci's, Alewife,
follows the
  meeting.

Additonal Information for This Meeting

  This meeting is free, open to the public, and no
registration is
  required. For more information, contact Marcia Nizzari at
  (617) 856-1804 (marcia.nizzari at tfn.com), Scott Curry at
  scurry at object-components.com, or Jim Ganino at
jsganino at tasc.com

If you can do this, thanks.

-- David Presberg

[HERE IS THE LONG VERSION OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT MESSAGE:]

The Greater Boston Chapter of the Association of Computing
Machinery
March 16, 2000 meeting presents Eric Steven Raymond
speaking on The Open
Source Movement.  The meeting is being co-sponsored with
the IEEE
Computer Society.  Here are some details:

Time

  Refreshments at 6:45 p.m.
  Meeting at 7:00 p.m.

Location

  Newman Auditorium
  GTE Internetworking (formerly BBN)
  Cambridge, MA (near Fresh Pond Circle)
  (for directions see:
http://www.gbcacm.org/meetings.shtml#Additional )

Meeting Overview

Eric Steven Raymond has become the spokesman over the
course of the last
several years for the open-source software community. His
much-discussed
paper, "The Cathedral and the Bazaar," played a pivotal
role in
persuading Netscape to make their browser software
open-source.

The burgeoning open-source software movement is fueled by
free source
code, and contributions from innumerable programmers around
the world
are helping to keep this movement at the forefront of
software industry
consciousness. In addition to Netscape opening its source,
IBM decided
to support the popular open-source Apache web server, and
several major
database vendors ported their products to the UNIX-like
open-source
operating system Linux. Even Microsoft revealed a strong
interest in
open-source when two of its internal strategy memoranda on
open-source
software were leaked to Mr. Raymond.

Mr. Raymond added his own commentary to these memoranda,
renamed them
"Halloween I" and "Halloween II" in commemoration of the
date on which
he received the first one, and published them on the
Internet. Both
memoranda were striking not just for the attention they
brought to bear
on the open-source movement, but for their surprisingly
upbeat analysis
of the abilities of the open-source movement to marshal
programming
resources and use them to develop high-quality software.

In "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" Mr. Raymond describes his
own
experiences with using open-source methods to develop the
"fetchmail"
utility. He analyzes how such open-source or "bazaar"
development
methods differ from those of more traditional closed-source
or
"cathedral" software development efforts, and concludes
that open-source
methods provide a powerful set of methods for producing
software that is
both efficient and extremely reliable. Mr. Raymond
emphasizes in
particular the powerful impact on software quality of
global peer review
of source code, which he summarizes in the statement that
"Given enough
eyeballs, all bugs are shallow." For more information,
please see Mr.
Raymond's website at:   http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr

jsganino at tasc.com

[END]