what unix, linux c/c++ to buy

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Derek Martin wrote:

> /bin/sort is broken on RH6.2, and it has numerous other bugs as well.
> Most people will not likely be affected by most of them, but you have been
> warned!  :)

All this time getting 6.2 out, and they can't even get something as basic
as /bin/sort working?? It does make one wonder...

SuSE 6.4 is also out now, and I'm waiting for my copy. (The DVD-ROM
version isn't ready yet - grrrrrr... and their fulfillment house didn't
tell me that when I ordered it.) I'll let people know what I think
once it shows up.

I also have to decide what to do with my Alpha. Currently, it's running
Red Hat 6.1, plus a kernel I built myself. (The stock 2.2.13 kernel
doesn't work with my system and network cards.) Red Hat 6.2 for Alpha is
out, but if there are bugs even in the Intel version, I don't know that
the Alpha version is going to be any good at all. SuSE 6.3 for Alpha
didn't work at all on my system (crashed at the same place every time
during the install, even with the custom 2.2.14 kernel), and 6.4 for Alpha
isn't out yet. And I don't know of any other distributions for Alpha that
are ready for prime time yet; if anyone out there does, let me know.

Mark J. Dulcey               mark at buttery.org
Visit my house's home page:  http://www.buttery.org/
Visit my home page:          http://www.buttery.org/markpoly/

-