let's torture and kill virus writers

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Mike Bilow wrote:

> First, and WAY off topic, Outlook Express (and all of IE5) should be
> installed in a corporate environment from a local server.  The admin runs
> the System Administration Kit (or whatever it is officially called now)
> and makes a local package with the appropriate local defaults and
> settings.  This way, every machine in the corporate system has the correct
> security defaults, the correct home page, the correct proxies, and so on.

Agreed, but please don't tell me that you believe this actually happens in
all cases.  I'll immediately lose respect for you.

> Second, most MS Office users are not technically skilled.  Some are very
> afraid of their machines.  Most people send Office documents by selecting
> the "File/Send To" menu item, which sends the document as an attachment
> through Outlook Express.  The really sophisticated open "My Computer" and
> right-click the icon to choose "Send To."  I have had to talk people
> through saving a document as RTF so I could read it.

Sure.  But if people Stopped using MS Office for creating e-mail, and just
wrote it in a text editor or the e-mail client's editor, this would not be
a problem.

--
Derek Martin
System Administrator