Plea for help: The detriment of using Microsoft products

     GNHLUG <gnhlug at zk3.dec.com>, BLU Users' Group <discuss at blu.org>
> Subject: Re: Plea for help: The detriment of using Microsoft products
>
> I've snipped lots of your message to avoid overquoting, and I apologize if
> this does a disservice.
>
> First, SGML was not developed as a government standard, but as an internal
> IBM standard, although certainly the government became its most
> enthusiastic user.  Second, HTML is not a subset (nor even an instance) of
> XML, although HTML is an instance of SGML and there is now something
> called XHTML which places some additional constraints on HTML so as to
> make it compatible with an XML parser.
Well, I first saw it as a gov't standard.  I stand corrected.  The
reason for the standard was to allow (gasp) competition (i.e. any
vendor could supply tools for SGML, and also to
use SGML for separating presentation from content (what you call
smenatic information below, what I was trying to convey.)

[snip very good example of what I was trying to convey, the separation
of the info, it's structure / meaning, and the representation]

Thanks for the excellent example.  I wish I could have come up with
something as clear.

Jeffry Smith      Technical Sales Consultant     Mission Critical Linux
smith at missioncriticallinux.com phone:978.446.9166,x271 fax:978.446.9470