VPN with Windows Client

I am trying to setup VPN as the mechanism for connecting remote users to
the company server (running RH6.1).  The users will be using Windows 95
and 98 machines.

I am able to connect my home linux box using pptp-client to the company
server running pptpd.  However, if I instead try to connect the Windows 98
machine which is masqueraded through my linux box by using Windows VPN
Dial-Up Networking, the process hangs on "Verifying user name and
password" and eventually I get an Error 650 message telling me that the
computer I am dialing into does not respond to a network request.

>From examining the debug file on the company server the problem seems to
be in the chap authentication.  I have tried putting entries like:

com_server             home\\win98       secret_pass1     *
home\\win98            com_server        secret_pass2     *

in the company servers /etc/chap-secrets file but no luck.

Is the Domain Name to be used in the server's chap-secrets file for
connecting to Windows machines the Windows workgroup name (home) or is it
the internal domain name I use for my home network or is it some other
domain name resulting from my DSL connection through Flashcom?  The pptpd
debug file does not show the name that the server is initally seeing.

I saw some documentation that said both sides of a VPN connection must
mutually authenticate each other.  Does the Windows machine need some sort
of a chap-secrets file?

The pptpd debug file indicates that it is using chap MD5 authentication.
Does Windows 98 (2d edition) use this?

How exactly should the Windows VPN properties checkboxes be configured?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Also is there a clean way of closing a Linux to Linux VPN connection?  I
wind up having to kill the client's pppd and Call Manager processes,
deleting the fifo? file in /var/run/pptp, and using ifconfig to take down
the ppp0 interface.

-Frank

-