PPPoE and BellAtlantic

Hey folks, since I had such great response here before, leading to me
having my in-house network wired via my 7.1 dsl connection behind a linux
firewall, I figured I'd throw this latest problem out and see if others had
experienced the same problems.

The page -  http://www.panix.com/~dfoster/prog/linux/pppoe.html

Perfectly walked me through setting up my linux box to use PPPoE with
little trouble. The problems came about when I started to monitor the
actual bandwidth I was getting. average was about 80kb, which is most
certainly NOT 7.1M.  So I called Bell and after hours of going around with
their tech support, the guy finally said to me "Look, just try this." and
so we went to my windows box, set it up the way they expect it to be set up
(Microsoft VPN drivers, et all), and suddenly, this lone windows box is
getting 2.5M -4.5M downloads. (still not quite the 7.1, but I need to tweak
some on the MTU and the registry settings)

So it would appear that I need to do some serious tweaking in linux to get
the speeds that my windows box can attain. Tech support adequately showed
me that it was a limitation of the box itself, not a problem on their end,
so now I'm left wondering if anyone out there had this same problem and has
some leads on tweaks to get my linux gateway back up and running with the
same sort of bandwidth my windows box is getting. I'd hate (you have no
idea how much I'd hate) to have to run a windows gateway software package,
but so far I've not found much in the "tweaks" department for PPPoE in
linux for this sort of a problem...so I am not sure what other options I'll
have. I'm not paying for 7.1M service just to be getting 56k dialup speeds. :o)

Any advice, pointers, whatever, welcome.

Alex

-