SPARC 5, disks, and video

> Hello to all:
>
> I have SPARC 5 I wish to make usable again.   I have SunOS 4.1.4 and
> Solaris 7, both on CD.   The system also has a 1 Gig drive.   I have a
> Dell monitor and VGA <-> Sun adapter, but the frequency demands of the
> Sparc are out off range for the Dell to handle (yet the monitor is only a
> few years old).
>
> So, I have a few choices:
>
> - Change my monitor to a Sun-compliant one and get converters for my
> Intel-based system

 Change your monitor.  The Viewsonic PF775 or PS775 (about $350)should work
with your Sparc 5.  We've used the 17GS in the past, but this monitor is no
longer available.  The new monitors actually check the incoming scan
frequencies, and refuse to operate if the frequencies are too high.  The Sun
frame buffer uses a horizontal scan frequency that's just a tad higher than
the 17GS spec, but they work.

> - Get a fancier converter for my existing monitor to handle the frequency
> requirements of the Sparc

I've never seen one in the catalogs.  If one exists, it's likely to cost more
than a new monitor.

> - Go console via the serial port

that will work....

> Well, the first option might be a bit pricey.  The second option seems
> reasonable.  Who sells a box to do this?   The third was tried, and was
> successful, but I cannot get a console signal now.  I'd still prefer true
> video from the source if I can help it.

We have Sparc 5's sitting around; I'll double check today that the PF771
works with it (we've got one of those, too!).

> Also, can the SPARC support a larger drive than the 1 Gig?  If so, I'd
> love to get a 10 Gig drive or something similar so I can install the full
> version of the CD onto it.

It supports larger disks.  However, under SunOS, each partition is limited
to 2 gb.  Beware:  some new SCSI drives don't work with the SunOS SCSI driver.
In particular, the Seagate Medalist series is not compatible.  The defect
list management is screwed up.  The identical hardware (Sparc 5 with Medalist
disks) is OK if you use Solaris 2.

If you really want to use a larger disk, I recommend you run Linux or Solaris
2.
Solaris 8 is out, and media is available for $75.

> Any leads on places to get a better VGA <-> Sun video converter and for a
> cheap larger SCSI drive (internal is preferred) would be appreciated.

We just purchased a bunch of IBM Ultrastar ES disks for use with Sparc 5's
running SunOS; so far no problems.  But these disks might be out of production
now.  Try Megahaus.

-